Citizens play a crucial role in reducing DWI death and injury in our community.
Although law enforcement, prosecution, and meaningful sanctions are important elements in reducing DWI death and injury in New Mexico, many factors contribute to drunk driving. Citizens can take an active role in their local neighborhoods by:
- Asking local employers to implement drug-free workplace programs
- Demanding responsible retailing from alcohol vendors
- Restricting alcohol advertising in your neighborhood
- Participating in court monitoring programs
- Being aware of DWI offenders in their neighborhoods
- Working with schools to create or enhance programs designed to reduce underage drinking
In addition, citizens should remember that judges and their local Sheriff are elected officials. By monitoring court activity and voting for officials who make DWI a priority in their community and support meaningful sanctions, citizens can make a significant contribution to reducing DWI death and injury.